Orange County ResidentsIf you are an Orange County resident and have recently traveled outside the U.S. and have questions regarding coronavirus (COVID-19), please contact the Orange County Department of Health at 845-291-2330. If you have fever, cough, sneezing, and/or shortness of breath, please call Northern Medical Center at 845-800-5118 before your appointment.
General Information About Disease Symptoms According to the CDC, reported illnesses for confirmed coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases have ranged from mild symptoms to severe illness and death. These symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure (based on the incubation period for MERS-CoV viruses), including fever, cough, and shortness of breath. If you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19, get medical attention immediately. Emergency warning signs include but are not limited to trouble breathing, persistent pain or pressure in the chest, new confusion or inability to arouse, and bluish lips or face. Please consult your medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning.
How to Protect Yourself [2, 3]Currently, there is no vaccine to prevent coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to this virus. The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person, between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet), and through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes. These droplets can land in mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs. Therefore, it is important for everyone to take precaution to prevent further spreading the disease. Everyone should:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially before you eat.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick. Keep a distance of at least 6 feet to help slow the spread of COVID-19.
- Cover your cough and sneezes with a tissue and discard it in a closed container.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces and objects.
- This includes but not limited to tables, doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets, and sinks.
- Stay home.
- If you have a fever, stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone without the use of fever-reducing medicines, such as acetaminophen.
- Keep sick household members away from others. If you have a separate room, that is best.
- Use soap and water, a bleach and water solution, or EPA-approved household products. You can make your own cleanser with a mixture of 1 cup of liquid unscented chlorine bleach in 5 gallons of water.
- Avoid sharing personal items.
- Anyone at high risk for complications should talk to their healthcare provider for more information.
What You Need to Know 
- Latest updates: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/home
- Your local health department is your community contact for COVID-19 concerns.
COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions
Orange County Health Department Contact Information Orange County Health Hotline: 845-291-2330 (open 9am-5pm) NYS COVID-19 Hotline: 888-364-3065 (open 24 hours) Anthony Wayne Testing Area: 888-364-3065 Orange County Government: 845-291-4000 Business Concerns: 845-360-0231
Orange County Crisis Hotline: (Help with Food)800-832-1200
Senior Food: 845-615-3700
Orange & Rockland: 877-434-4100
Central Hudson: 845-452-2700
Consumer Affairs Complaints: 845-360-6700 (open 24 hours)
Center for Disease Control: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/index.htmlNYS Department of Health: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/home For more information about Coronavirus Disease, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides updated information and useful information, visit: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html.
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html.
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prepare/prevention.html.
- Protect Yourself and Your Family from Coronavirus (COVID-19). New York State Department of Health. Available at: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/protect-yourself-and-your-family-coronavirus-covid-19.
- Information on Novel Coronavirus. New York State Department of Health. Available at: https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/home.
- COVID-10/Coronavirus. Orange County Health Department. Available at: https://www.orangecountygov.com/1936/Coronavirus.